Illustrator Homework #2

    In Abstract: The Art of Design, Paula Scher narrates that she must be in a "state of play" in order to design something. What she means by that is that she must let the subconscious part of her mind to take over whatever she is creating. Scher designs best while in taxicabs because she is in one fixed location looking at other people's signs. Unlike Scher, I do not have a set location for developing my own ideas. I do remember a place at my old university that always helped me think though. We had a small four-story parking garage on campus and if you went to the very top and sat on the edge you would be able to view the Chicago skyline. Sitting there always cleared my head. When I am trying to brainstorm, I like to look over a body of water. Beaches, lakes, pools, you name it.

    Creation for me is difficult. I haven't made anything worthy of anyone's time. If I did get to create something for others to enjoy, I would want it to be films. The art of film is what pushed me into my degree. I would just need to have one person's say they were changed by a film I've made. It would also be a way to leave behind a legacy after I have passed on.

    I know that Paula Scher does not love her work on the Boston album cover, but I really like the aesthetic of it. I love space-esc design like the "2001: A Space Odessey" cover and "Star Wars and Other Galactic Funk" album which are very reminiscent to this one. The appeal to this cover is definitely it's sincerity. You know this album is a rock album just by looking at it. The guitar spaceships taking off from the exploding Earth is super creative. It is as if music can save the world itself.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Animation

Postcard

Business Card